Report from the Legislature

July 2, 2014

Report from the Legislature, July 02, 2014

Many parts of our province experienced unprecedented rainfall this past week, which resulted in a

number of communities declaring local states of emergency. We expect this number to increase in the

coming days. Officials from Emergency Management and Fire Safety, the Provincial Disaster Assistance

Program, Water Security Agency, Highways and Agriculture will be working with all communities

affected as they begin the recovery process. Below is a summary of some very important information

and contacts to help you address any inquiries.

Provincial Disaster Assistance Program

The Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) is designed to help residents, small

businesses, agricultural operations, communal organizations, non-profit organizations, parks and

communities recover from the effects of natural disasters, including flooding, tornadoes, plow winds

and other severe weather.

PDAP is not a substitute for private insurance nor does it provide full compensation for losses.

Instead, the program covers damages to uninsurable, essential property. Eligible claims can include

clean-up costs, the replacement of essential household items, structural repair and restoration, and

preventative measures taken during a disaster.

Local authorities (cities, towns, villages, resort villages, provincial parks, rural municipalities,

First Nations) serve as the access point for residents and businesses seeking aid from PDAP. A

community must first apply to be designated as a disaster area before individual private claims can be


PDAP Contact Information


Water Security Agency

The Water Security Agency continues to monitor flows and potential peak levels of all areas affected by

flooding. Information on current peaks, and projected peaks, as well as actions taking place, and how to

prepare for flooding can call be located at

The Emergency Flood Damage Reduction program (EFDRP) provides assistance with the implementation

of emergency flood damage reduction or prevention measures in 2014 for communities, rural

municipalities, businesses, non-profit organizations, individual farm and country residences and cottages

to prevent damage from imminent flooding.

To find out if your community, RM, or individuals within your community can apply for EFDRP, please

visit the following website:

We are encouraging any residents who need emergency flood protection or mitigation work to call the

provincial water inquiry line at 1-866-727-5420.


A number of highways have been flooded in the affected area, especially in the southeast corner of the

province, the Esterhazy-Rocanville area and the Yorkton-Melville area. Other highways have water over

them, but remain open, or have poor surface conditions due to moisture.

While water levels have begun to recede, it is still too early to speculate when these roads may begin to

reopen. Daily status reports are being prepared and pertinent information will be shared as it becomes


Damaged highways are being assessed and a plan is being developed to prioritize and make repairs.

Work has already begun on some roads where water levels allow and work will be prioritized based on a

number of factors including traffic volumes, ensuring access to vital facilities such as hospitals, ensuring

communities are not isolated and taking advantage of opportunities where the water has receded and

repairs can be made quickly.

Current road conditions are posted to the Highway Hotline and are available at or toll-
free at 1-888-335-7623.

Constituents requiring assistance from the Ministry can contact Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure

District Offices as follows:

Carlyle District Office: 306-453-3452

Regina District Office: 306-787-4952

Yorkton District Office: 306-786-1660

Wynyard District Office: 306-554-5432

Calls of an urgent nature will be returned outside of normal business hours. Constituents can also

contact their local RCMP detachment in an emergency.


Producers with flooded cropland may be eligible for a claim under the Crop Insurance Program.

Producers can contact their local Crop Insurance office or call 1-888-935-0000

Ministry of Agriculture staff are available to assist producers with emergencies, such as stranded

livestock. They can contact their local Ministry of Agriculture office or call 1-800-775-5358.

Upcoming Events
There are no currently no upcoming events.